Thursday, February 14, 2013

Lessons Learned Posting Pics

Tuesday and all of my work projects are complete.  I have this day off and knew I would have to force myself to experiment taking photos if I were ever going to again.   After taking 51 photos of a variety of different outfits a few months ago that disappeared into the Cloud.....I have been loathe to begin again.  I do not see how the girls do it.  It looked like so much fun.....like many things look to me......only to discover it's just plain hard work and takes time, patience, and practice like most everything valuable in life.  I am not one who takes pictures of anything.  When I am out and about or even on vacation the last thing on my mind is a camera and picture taking.  But I sure admire those who do.  When my son took me to Paris I came home with only about 12 photos and I treasure those dearly.  Then when I started my blog I thought taking photos of my outfits would be fun because I think I dress a little differently than the norm  but WHOA!  An outfit that I would normally create I discovered in a photo can look just plain wrong!!!   I realize now the only reason I like to take photos of my outfits is to discover WHAT NOT TO WEAR...at least in a photo.  In my real life a Victorian style short black velveteen jacket I bought a hundred years ago at The Gap (before they went all androgynous) with a flare pleat in the back is one of my favorite looks.  But on camera the cut looks just weird.   When I go to the Mall now I have to ask myself  "Is this editorial?"   It is fun in the aspect of my loving to always keep learning new things yet I forget within that desire is great frustration and effort.  I think I leave all of that on the dance floor and hardly have any room left for my adventure into photo taking..
 I would not wear this out in public with the flower and the hat but at least it looks kind of editorial?
Ho-hum....I tried to create some interest with the belt being different than the shoes but it's a yawn.  I know we are our own worst critics but I don't want to have to add a hat or dark glasses to make an outfit look interesting.  Now what?
Less is more...maybe a flower on this jacket would have worked but still nothing creative here.
A different pose does not work either.  My new 4 inch red swede heels from Cathy Jean's are surprisingly wearable...meaning I can wear them walking around on carpets quite comfortably.  But where do I go where there is solid carpeting?  I will wear them to work tomorrow and see.

What have I learned today?  I know if one takes any new activity and devote at least one hour a day to it one can improve.  My goal is to take one photo a day when I get home from work of my outfit.  When I have time I will study the photos I have collected and see what I could do to create more interesting looks.   I am open to all suggestions that come my way.  Please share all of your helpful hints as I am eager to learn. 


11 comments:

  1. these are great pictures, and such cute outfits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU are SO AMAZINGLY WONDERFUL! Let me tell you, these photos (and YOU) are magazine worthy material! My dear, you are just lovely! I can see all the ballet training. Talk about hard work? I think that we forget day in and day out, that our hard physical, mental and spiritual endeavors DO PAY OFF and that they are visible. I also understand what you are saying about having to take many, many shots (and also in my case, drafts of illustrations and poems) to finally get maybe ONE or two good samples. But I believe the lesson is in the DOING of the process. The outcome is the result, but the lesson will always stay with us.

    Again, you are just GORGEOUS. You know, I almost want to have a celebration of women from certain age on up....showing photos of US and our styles. What do you think?

    PEACE! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those pictures look GREAT! esp the one with the dark jacket, love yout confident pose. And I adore those red shoes, girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your looks, heels are spectacular. I think that all proposals are successful, but I love the last two photos, the dark look, you still precious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I especially like the dark wear on you. Amazing.
    You are in top condition, enjoy and be happy : )!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello!
    I have to say you look just wonderful in these photos - you are in great shape! If I manage to look half, no a quarter as good, I'd be very happy indeed. It's true what you say about how an outfit looks in photos doesn't necessarily match one's perception. I think at the end of the day you are the best judge of what feels and looks good and that's all that matters. But it's a useful process and I learnt so much in the last 2.5 years of taking my own outfit shots for my blog.
    I love everything you're wearing and the colourful touches - the shoes are sexy and classic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. First of all you have a great figure ; and a beautiful face, and super hair. The red shoes are perfect but I would wear them with a longer pair of trousers, wider at the bottom, I find that it elongates the silhouette. I love your navy blue look with red, so chic ! Your existential quandary over taking pictures made me laugh, you must be a hoot to live with !xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Barbara,so elegant especially in the 3rd photo the belt added the extra touch!

    Are the sketches on the floor of yourself? Ida

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the look in the first image - in photos, it's good to create impacr with some bold accessoire or color. A little bit of red or pink works wonder in a picture, or any other bright color, used in the right way. Have fin experimenting!
    I'm your newest follower now - come and follow me too? I'm coming over from Anita and want to invite you to my giveaway. You can win free stylish eyeglasses - have a look!
    Cheers to a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are a beautiful lady with this kind of mystery around you!
    I especially love the third photo - all dark, the red heels and your pose make it very special.

    Annette
    Lady of Style

    ReplyDelete