Tuesday, September 18, 2012

When Exercise Is More Than That

Tonight I am feeling muscle fatigue but mental strength.  Adding a few more advanced ballet classes to my schedule has pushed me to a new level of endurance.   It takes much more time commitment not just in the dance studio but also allowing for the fatigue factor.  I have to find ways to adjust to my free time feeling more like just exhausted time.
Google phot ballet training


Some say ballet training is extremely hard on the body but one of my favorite teachers told me this is only true if you do not practice correctly. I agree, all of my injuries have come from faulty use of my body.  One time I admired a dancer in class so much I told myself I was going to jump with all my might as high as she did.  I went off in a corner and kept practicing the leap over and over.  That night taking a bath I noticed my foot was all black and blue on the bottom.  The next day I went to class and my teacher told me to go home, that I had broken all the blood vessels in the bottom of my foot and not to come back until the bruising was gone.  I have had uncountable minor injuries over the last twenty years that has prevented me from dance and those are times when I have really had to stay positive in body, mind, and spirit. 

So what is "normal" when it comes to exercise as we grow into our 60's, 70's. 80's, 90's and beyond? 
With healthcare the number one issue and concern on the nightly news and what appears like the whole world running for their lives literally and figuratively my question is how is running considered healthy over the long run?  The jury is still out on that one too.  I know they have running events for every major disease known to man but is running itself good for dis-ease?
Google photo of senior runners
My neighborhood is full of runners.  My guess is 80 percent are under age 40, 19 percent under age 60 and less than one percent over that.  So my question is how is running a healthy exercise?  Or is it more than that?  What is this journey other than creating the healthiest lifestyle we can find?  It seems most people buy into the idea we automatically deteriorate as we age so be it.  I am questioning other alternatives......

Is anyone else questioning alternatives to deteriorating?  

No comments:

Post a Comment