Monday, July 9, 2012

The Agony And The Ecstacy

About a week ago I started feeling my right hip feeling stressed but so what?  I was taking more and harder ballet classes than ever so of course I was going to feel it.  Over the years taking class I have had many injuries.  Once I broke all the blood vessels in the bottom of my foot and when I went to class my teacher told me to go home and not come back until healed.  What feels like every few months for years on end I have had foot issues, calf strains, Achilles tendons strain, and sciatic nerves problems that shoots pain from my hip down my leg.  The worst happened about 4 years ago with a compound fracture of my right wrist which did not happen in ballet class but falling while just walking down the street.  Three surgeries and almost a year off dance I returned to start the cycle over again.
Google image of injured dancers
 Being pain free for several months now I began wanting to UP my athletic endeavors.  Entertaining the idea of quitting my job and becoming a full time exercise consultant.  Last Friday evening in class I really noticed my hip hurting and ignoring when my body talks is my conditioned way of responding.  Returning to class Saturday morning I knew I was not feeling well but stayed for the entire class and doing the final jump in the grande allegro almost fell into another dancer.  Did I come home to rest?  No I told myself I had to keep moving so I went on a walk along the river.  Sunday I rested until evening and then went for another three mile walk.
  Worrying about not being able to go back to class the next day gets all consuming.  I was reading the latest Runners World with the focus on the strong, fit and healthy Olympic hopefuls wondering what ever possessed me to think I could live in the dance studios and gyms full time when just a simple little injury puts me out of commission.

I went to class tonight and was able to have a good class and made myself leave for the jumps.  One never knows if the ballet barre and center is going to be therapeutic or a push too far in the wrong direction.  Tonight it was a joy to learn even more about my body/mind/spirit while dancing.


No comments:

Post a Comment