Monday, April 23, 2012

Vacation Like A Rock Star

One would think working at my place of employment for over 15 years I would be conditioned to expect unpaid time off.  I am not a workaholic so this is kind of a free day to do whatever I feel like doing.  I am also physically and mentally programmed to go to work Monday through Friday and when that does not happen it takes awhile to wrap my head around the idea I am on an unpaid vacation.  I did read somewhere that when a person gets laid off or terminated from a job or has an accident that changes a personal routine it takes at least two weeks to psychologically let go and begin something new.

Also 90 percent of the thoughts we had yesterday are the same thoughts we have today and another reason why change is so difficult.  That must be why I felt like a lost soul on this beautiful sunny 80 degree day and did not even make it on my river walk so disoriented was I.  Instead I went grocery shopping and sat outside on my deck reading.

I used to party like a "rock star" when I was a disc joickey at the number one Rock and Roll station in the late 70's and early 80's.  Sex, drugs, and rock and roll is not an expression it was real life.  I heard Carol King interviewed on CNN the other night say the same thing.  When I quit that job it was a major change and I had no clue what I was going to with my life.  I laid  on my couch  for a whole year while sending out some resumes and going on some interviews that gave me solid rejections. 

A neighbor asked if I could do anything I wanted what would it be and I told her a "professional student".  One thing led to another and soon I was enrolling at Marylhurst College.  Looking back on how it all happened it does seem it was all planned and meant to be.  Right now with no projects to work on this too feels all planned.  I like to take notes when I read and came across this one today.

"Nothing to hold on to is the root of happiness.  Rest here."





No comments:

Post a Comment