Saturday, October 22, 2011

Diet Makeover

J. Krishnamurti is my favorite teacher.  K. died of pancreatic cancer at the age of 94.  Steve Jobs died of pancreatic cancer at the age of 54.  Both men lived what appeared to be healthy, fit lives.

I wonder if anyone knows another when it comes to physical fitness?  When I was pregnant with my first child the doctor asked me if I wanted to take amphetamines.  Being raised not to take even an aspirin unless absolutely necessary I declined.  He told me they would help me not to gain too much weight.  I gained 30 pounds.  I had a healthy happy baby boy.   The weight stayed so I began my "eating just to stay thin" diet which meant afraid to eat anything at all.

Fifteen months later pregnant with my second child I did not wait to be asked.  The drug was an incredible experience giving me an energy I had never known.  I gained very little weight and had a healthy happy baby boy with the easiest delivery.

Six years later pregnant with my third child I demanded more of those please.  I gained little weight again and had a healthy beautiful baby girl.   Hoping to get a refill but denied I remember coming home to lay down on the couch super tired for about a year. 

Somehow I discovered "diet pills" in the health food department at the grocery store and experimented enough to know that only the ones with ephedra actually worked.  The day the FDA banned the herb I considered myself lucky to know how to order them online.

The point is......no one knew.  I appeared to eat green salads and yogurt and was praised
for not eating junk food.

Several years ago I decided to stop the diet pills.  Wanting to be healthy and fit I knew the pills were not about that.  I dont know if my diet makeover is working or not.  Did K. have a healthy diet?  Did Steve Jobs?  It appears we will never know.  And if we did what could we learn?

No comments:

Post a Comment