Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The Best Act


Before I was chronologically age 50 I told everyone I wanted to be done by then.  I am not sure at what age I began feeling sorry for "old people" and thought I could escape that fate if I died before that birthday.  My mother would tell me I was ridiculous and told me that after the age of fifty I would feel the best years of my life.  I was not close with my mother and I knew it was true for her but I could not relate.

Then along came fifty and I realized I felt great.  Better than I ever had.  Just like my Mom said and just like Jane Fonda says in the video I was emailed today.  It is on Ted.com and called "Climbing The Staircase".  I was not that interested in watching it because I have heard her feedback on various television shows but I did decide to watch her presentation.  I completely relate but I do not think I would have until I experienced it for myself.

She notes that each of us have our own individual journey and not to romanticize aging we each have our issues and concerns.  She gives an example of it being how we respond to situations that is the key.  The universal law is atrophy.  Everything in life is in a state of decay........except for one thing......the human spirit.

I think I am fortunate to have had a mother to set a good example for me how to respond to aging.  The third act of my life I can say is the best.  My first act was rather upsetting because I felt invisible and alone.   My second act was full of angst and emotional extremes I thought the drama would never end.  Now in my third act I no longer feel sorry for "old people".  My eyes have opened to see the beauty in the response to the situation with a positive attitude and have the spirit to make it a climb to the top instead of a descent to the bottom.

But I do not think we can know how we respond to situations until we meet them.  Do you think it is possible to prepare for aging?  Can you even imagine the third act being the best? 

No comments:

Post a Comment